Monday, September 20, 2010

ESXi, the root of all evil

ESXi in itself is a nice idea, a cool tool and everything. I really like it. Until stuff goes bad. And it goes bad.

Yesterday I had a great time, migrating an ESXi 3.5 installation from a RAID1 set on a HP DL360 G6 to a RAID5 on a HP DL360 G5. The G6 uses a P410i controller, while the G5 uses a P400, so I wasn't sure that it'll be a plug-n-play migration... But lo and behold, i tried it and it worked (after a block level full backup, of course). Migrating from RAID1 to 5 was just a cool run with dd, no sweat.

So it's done, I fire it up, ESXi boots nicely... and can't find it's own storage... After 30mins of quality Google time, this dude saved my ass:
http://cyborgworkshop.org/2008/09/14/adding-a-lun-with-an-existing-vmfs-into-an-esxi-node/

On a related note, ESXi sucks big time if you install it on the same disk as the storage. And since we don't use iSCSI or FC here, and I never succeeded in installing it on a USB drive, I had to do just that. That usually means that you can't upgrade your 3.5 to 4.0 for starters, and while I obtained 73GB free space from the RAID migration (which actually doubled my disk space), I can't partition and use it... So, guess I'll try the mentioned USB install method (just dd the little SOB to the drive and done). More info on that once it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment